Top 10 things to see and do if you visit for the first time:
Okay, the essentials. Of course we believe once you get here you will want to come again. But just in case… top 10 for newcomers.
- The Old town – Centerpiece of every visit to Herceg Novi. Iconic tour leads you through 600 years of history that were left behind by numerous different civilizations that at some point had control of the city. The mixture of multiple civilizations is unmatched almost anywhere in the world.
- Mimosa festival – This year would be ideal to come to Herceg Novi in February because the 50th Mimosa festival is taking place. Carnival is held throughout the whole municipality, plus for this anniversary, in three surrounding countries. Maybe not as grand and widely known as the ones in Rio and New Orleans, but definitely something to witness and be a part of.
- Herceg Novi film festival – Beautiful festival that takes place in the breathtaking scenery of the Kanli Kula. Films from all over Europe are being played and some premiere in Herceg Novi.
- Operosa – Operosa is a festival of classical music and opera that as a goal has promotion of young and talented operatic singers. This is the first operatic festival in Montenegro.
- Tito’s villa – It represents one of a dozen luxurious villa’s that were built for Tito in the former Yugoslavia. The reason behind this one was the treatment Tito had to go to the Institute Igalo, which was so effective they decided to build him a residence nearby.
- Harbor Skver – The town harbor, Skver, is an informal city center of Herceg Novi. This is where it all happens. Aside from the city harbor and pier, there are still remnants of the former railroad and railroad station that used to be there.
- Spanjola – Spanjola always had a character of a military fortress, all the way until the beginning 20th century. In WWII it was used as a prison for a short period of time. At some point, every ruler that had control of the fort made some modifications.
- Portonovi – Portonovi Montenegro is a world-class resort community with a state-of-the-art Marina. The perfect home away from home—it will be a place where people of all ages and generations can fully breathe life.
- Tour of the Herceg Novi bay – No description needed. One of the most beautiful bays in the world. It would be a shame to visit and not take a boat ride through it.
- Monastery Savina – The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambiance of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension of the Virgin, the monastery dormitory with the treasury and the church of St. Sava, separated at a nearby hill. Church of St. Sava is located on a hill above the dormitory, and for it, the tradition says that it was built by St. Sava in the 13th century. The monastery was even named after him as well as the whole place where it is located.